Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I'm not crazy I swear... Just Cheep

So I think we are going cloth....Yup apparently I'm crazy... No I'm just cheep frugal... My wonderful cousin left a comment in Cloth vs Paper... that said something to the effect of glad my hippie talk of cloth diapering, baby wearing, and breastfeeding didn't scare you...
K I'm a lazy Mom on the go... And having my baby's milk ready for my child any time any where is the easiest way to go... I mean heck with bottles, oh the baby is hungry let me get off my butt go to the kitchen turn on the hot water grab the bottle, fill to the correct line, lift up the bottle cheek how much is really in there, dump out a little water or put a little more water in, scoop the powder, dump the powder, another scoop, put the ring and the nipple on the bottle, place my finger on the tip of the nipple, and shake shake shake, test the temperature, find the baby (mine like to play hid and seek) and plug the thing in there mouth, hold them and the bottle, plus don't get me started on the washing and sanitizing the bottles... Shoot I could have whipped out my boob and the kid would have been feed and happy by this point!!! Yup breastfeeding is the easy (lazy) way to feed a baby... PLUS it CHEEP!!! (I like cheep)
Now on to baby wearing... Come one I have a family to feed and clean up after and having two hands helps this go a ton easier... Plus the babies LOVE it... So no again not crazy just easier (lazy yup I'm a lazy mom)
K now on to the scary part cloth diaper... dun dun dah... It really is not that bad... I should save at least $40+ a month... So far it's been really easy... And it has helped me get my laundry kinda done... I put my diapers in the laundry just before bed time (bath time/story time with daddy) I take the used diapers and put them in a wash and after an hour (once the kids are asleep) I go put the clean diapers in the dryer and put a load of laundry in... Then in the morning I go down to get my clean dry diapers and switch my laundry over to the dryer... Yup it helps me get a load done a day and that is like ten times better than before... Plus the diapers are so cute... Yeah there are some that are just OK but there are some that are so cute I just want keep her pants off and show off her cute little bum... Oh did I mention I'm cheep frugal I this can save me 40+ bucks a month for the 18ish more months she will be in diapers that's a lot of savings...
So if you want to call me a hippie for my mothering ways... Then go ahead I'll just call my self CHEEP!!!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Meh. nothing wrong with wanting to give your babies and the environment a little extra love. Heaven knows they need it. And good for you for finding some good cloth diapers you love!

kkweight said...

HA HA HA HA! You crack me up!
Hippie, cheap, frugal, whatever it may be, its awesome! I will do anything i can to save a dollar or two.
Just to run some numbers:
If you cloth diaper from birth up to 27 months that's a cost savings of over $1000. In just diapers.
If you keep cloth diapering from now until she potty learns you'll be saving roughly over $700!

Now, neither of those costs include the cost of wipes, diaper creams, diaper genies (if you are dumb enough to buy one), the inserts for the diaper genies, and if you have a yeasty baby then you need anti-fungal creams (a doctors visit to get the prescription and the cost of the prescription).

Paper diaper babies have a higher incidence of yeast growth on their bums due to the wet and hot conditions inside the diaper and the lack of airflow, hence more rashes.

Not to mention you have the added bulk of the paper diapers in your trash bin. So your putting more trash into the landfills and its taking longer for those plastics and chemicals to break down.

If you have a cloth diaper stash, for a moderate stash your looking at about $200 for about 2 days worth of diapers and covers and wipes. If you want the fancier ones, then your looking at more money.
It all depends on the brands you buy. So it can be as cheap or as expensive as you wish. I was ultra cheap and started my diapering stash for about $100-$125. It was super basic, super ugly but it caught the pee and poop just fine.lol

Now, that $200 diaper stash investment will last for the child's entire diapering years. From birth until potty learning. If they are cared for in the right way they will last through *at least* one more child, if not 2 more!
So you've more than gotten your moneys worth out of that original $200.
That $200 doesn't have to be paid all up front, it can be spread out over a few weeks or months.
Just starting with putting your child in one diaper a day can significantly reduce costs. Then once you've got enough diapers for daytime you can tackle night time diapering. Or not, either way your still saving money!

Plus there's energy costs that factor into those numbers too!

Cloth diapering really isn't as bad as some people think it is.
My philosophy is "KISS". Keep It Super Simple! You can make it as easy or as hard as you want to.

I'm thrilled your enjoying it and that it hasn't been a burden for you. I was worried it would overwhelm you with the laundry. But see.... its really not alot of extra work. You just get into a rhythm with it.
Im very proud of you!!

And for the baby wearing, totally cheaper!
I would rather have you make me a baby carrier for like $30 than buy a stroller and have to lug it around.lol So bulky and heavy and a waste of money.
I could even buy an Ergo for $75 and still get more use out of it than i can a stroller, i had to stop using a stroller when Klaire reached a certain weight. But she was able to use the Ergo until she was 4.
Baby carriers are easy to store, it will last through as many children as you have.
The only baby carriers i refuse to wear are the ones that dangle the baby by their crotches.lol Those are bad news.lol

Just the littlest changes in a few basic things we use and do as parents can add up to be some good cost savings.
Sorry im so rambly today.lol

Liz said...

Go you!!! My cousin just started cloth diapers, and it's really gotten me thinking about it for when we have our kids... I'm sure we'll talk more then! Congrats!